Natural disasters don’t wait on humans to be ready to respond. This Investor Hurricane Preparation Checklist is designed to help investors develop a maintenance plan that will give their property a better chance of surviving a hurricane. Heeding the tips below could save investors thousands of dollars or may even save a life.
Preparing the Property
- Keep the trees and shrubs well-trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Secure loose gutters and downspouts and clear any clogged areas or debris to prevent water damage.
- Retrofit to secure and reinforce the roof, windows, and doors.
- Brace garage doors.
- Bring inside any furniture, yard ornaments, or play equipment that could act as a dangerous projectile.
- Cover all windows with permanent storm shutters or 5/8″ marine plywood. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking.
- Move valuable items away from windows, and to the upper floors if possible.
- Check that the battery backup from the sump pump is working to prevent drain backups.
- Purchase a portable generator for use during power outages. Remember: keep generators and other alternate power/heat sources outside, at least 20 feet away from windows and doors, and protected from moisture. NEVER try to power the house wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet.
- Consider building a FEMA safe room or ICC 500 storm shelter designed for protection from high winds and in locations above flooding levels.
Download the Investor Hurricane Preparation Checklist.